mercredi 16 mai 2012

Charlotte - Soldout















 

Who are you outside Soldout, can you explain your background?

I've been involved in music since my childhood, my parents enrolled me very early in the academy of music, piano and music theory. It was quite natural for me to continue into the world of music, it just happened gradually.
As a teenager I began to be attracted by photography, the image in general. I developed an artistic sensibility to it.
It was natural for me to study photography at the University of San Francisco. Then back to Brussels, I started study design at the Erg. Anything that relates to art interests me.

What were your influences in music, graphics and especially in fashion?
 

I'm influenced by everything, especially anything that's artistic like movies, books, music. But what influences me a lot as well are my friends, our long conversations and my questioning about everything. In art, I like anything that causes a reaction, and what makes sense. The beautiful side of things doesn't interest me, there must be something else to causes a reflection, a feeling. I like music that touches me. Music without a soul is not for me. Background music, I call it elevator music! I do not think that artists are influenced by fashion, but the opposite.

What's is the role of fashion inside of Soldout ?
Frankly said, fashion doesn't play any role inside of Soldout. Fashion is constantly changing and I like things that remain steady. I try not to be too influenced by fashion. Obviously I'm a little affected by it because we live in a society that dictates how we should feel, but it is not very important to me. The main thing is to feel good about what I wear. I do not attach much importance to a stage outfit either. When people come to our shows, it's the music that matters, not the clothes.

David and you have formed Soldout ten years ago. Of all performances you have done, which live performance do you think of fondly?

The best memory for me was our tour in Germany with Front 242, it was a really special tour. We have developed relationships with the members of Front and I got to know their music better. It influenced us musically and psychologically. We became more confident in ourselves and day by day we evolved. I also have nice memories of the "Dour Festival" and the "Transardentes". It was an incredible atmosphere every time.

The release of your new album is imminent, how do you feel about working on your third album, as those are often crucial albums?

We're very serene and confident. We're approaching a sound that's close to us, something personal, it's very important for us to bring something different, not the same music every time. We had a lot of very good feedback from people around us. It motivates us to keep on going.

We discover your latest EP "Wazabi", do you still consider yourself as an "Eletro-Rock" band?

What is certain is that we make electronic music. But it's not that we define our kind of music, that's the job of our fans and journalists! It's always funny to see who we are compared to, it is interesting to hear that. According to the people's thoughts and mindsets, we are compared to many different groups. Afterwards, we try to find the links between them and us. We do not try to put ourselves into boxes, we just want to try to make music that's close to us and do not get locked into one genre.



Links

Photography : Grégoire Pleynet

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire