vendredi 15 février 2013

KIMY G. LEJEUNE













Who are you ?

In 2008, after graduating at HELB in Public Relations, I moved to Ibiza where I met Neil, a tatoo artist, who also crafted some amazing jewels.
The transformation of raw material into beautiful jewelry is a noble activity and I'm fascinated by it. The realization that you don't need to be a professional jeweler to design a jewel collection also motivated me when I returned to Brussels. 
That is why I decided to enroll at Brussels's Arts et Metiers for a year, to step into the world of jewelry and understand the 
technical side of it. I then followed some private lessons. 
I understood very quickly that creating jewels was one thing, but including them in my own universe was as important.

What are your influences, or universes ?

The KMH world was created around me and my husband who, as I said before, is a tatoo artist. It is a black and white world, underground, luxurious but fragile at the same time.

We are following you since the beginning but you're already distributed in Paris by a famous brand and a celebrity recently bought one of your piece... 
How do you feel about that ?

As you mentioned, I just come back from Colette and they just sold a crucifix to Kanye West. Let's just say that it's a good start since the brand started in 2012 ;-). It's only the beginning and I've got very good news from the international market for 2013 as well. But i'm also very thankful to the 
Belgian shops (LOL, GLORYBOX, SMETS Premium and Irina Kha) who trusted the project and allowed me to sell my first creations. Those shops are quite well positioned on the market as well.

What is the role of fashion ?

I'm not a fashionista. I like what's beautiful and pure. I don't think I belong to a specific style. I could wear my husband's clothes one day, and a little FAP dress the next day. I don't follow trends and I don't put an expiry date on my wardrobe. 
I wear my clothes from one season to the next, according to my new creations ;-). That is also why I create timeless jewelry.

Can you describe your style ?

I like large and loose clothes, worn with more feminine pieces. 
I change quite often. According to what i feel like. Nothing is really planned.

Any addiction ?

I want to move out of Brussels, even if I really like this place. I think you need to move away from a place to better appreciate
it. And I would feel more inspired !

What music are you listening to at the moment ?

Léonard Cohen, « NEW SKIN FOR THE OLD CEREMONY » , a gift from my friend Steph, « Muzah ». In the morning I also listen to a mix done by the website "we are hunted" . It's alternative, rock and pop.

What about some beauty tricks ?

A freshly squeezed lemon in warm water and grapefruit juice in the morning. 
And for what it's worth, i feel like rest is the ultimate beauty trick !

Any books ?

I'm reading "A la recherche du temps perdu " from Marcel Proust. (I should have read it a long time ago). I also just finished "My Dear Bomb" from Yohji Yamamoto.

What could we find in your bag ?

Only the essential... be surrounded by so much crap as well !

What about your movies ?

« In the mood for love » from Wong Kar Wai, American beauty, Buffalo 66, Edward Scissorhands. I'm also a huge fan of the "Internal Affairs" trilogy.

What are your top notch addresses in Brussels ?

Shopping 
GLORYBOX, ICON, LOL,... Even if i do almost all my shopping 
abroad.

Food  
Let's start at "Franz", or the "Delecta" for a nice "warm up"
« L’idiot du village », the « Toucan sur mer » for the seafood assortments, and for lunch a pizza at « Mano à mano ». Oh yeah and « Mer du nord » for the shrimp croquettes. There's also a good Korean restaurant, MARU, that just opened on Waterloo Drive. And MAKISU (very good for their maki's)

Going out 
A drink at Franz. Or Mister Wong. To be honest I prefer to stay 
at friends's. I would rather go out when i'm not in Brussels.

What about your mentors ?

Patti Smith, Nico (the Velvet singer) Alison Mosshart.

Any favorite designer ?

Hedi Slimane, Rick Owens, Jean Cocteau (for his writting and his sculptures)
Franck Gehry (particularly the WEISMAN ART MUSEUM, a real light jewel). 
I would also like to talk about my web-designers at  "POPCORNMAKERS", who made my website inspired by my universe. Thanks guys. 
And of course "Filles a Papa" (ok they are my friends but I'm a huge fan).  They put a lot of energy into their collections. For me, FAP's creations have this craziness that you 
can recognize in East London, when you stroll about the Brick Lane market. 
They dare to go one step further, and it works.





Photography : Julie Calbert





2 commentaires: